Before your breast augmentation surgery with Proffer Surgical Associates, we recommend patients use our printable checklist to ensure they are fully prepared for the procedure and a possible stay at the surgery center.
A Week Before the Surgery
- Arrange a ride to and from the surgery center.
- Make sure all of your prescriptions are filled.
- If you have children or pets, make arrangements for their care.
- Ensure your payment for your procedure has been paid in full.
A Few Days Before The Surgery
- Do your grocery shopping. Place foods where they can be reached, such as the kitchen counter or low fridge shelves. You do not want to strain yourself.
- Purchase antibacterial soap, dressings, gauze, etc.
- Purchase ice packs or gel packs, and place in the freezer to help reduce swelling after surgery.
- Purchase compression garments (e.g. Spanx, sports bras) before surgery. Buy clothing in a few different sizes and save your receipts, so you can have someone return anything that doesn’t fit. A good rule of thumb is to buy one to two sizes larger than you would normally buy, but still gently compresses.
- Set up the room you will be recovering in at home. Have your bedside table stocked with anything you might need. Ex: your phone charger, reading material, and the TV remote for easy access.
The Night Before The Surgery
- Fast the night before, starting at midnight — unless you are diabetic or medical personnel have informed you otherwise.
- Rent some movies or pick out TV shows and films to watch on Netflix.
- Do laundry and make up the bed with fresh sheets.
- Relax and get a good night’s sleep.
- Take any medications preoperatively you were instructed to take and/or were prescribed to you.
Day Of The Surgery
- Arrive on time.
- Bring chapstick for your lips. If you wear contacts, be sure to bring a contact lens case and your glasses.
- Do not wear makeup, lotion, hair products, deodorant, nail polish, etc.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing (e.g. large, button-up shirt or zip-up hoodie) and shoes.
- Leave jewelry and other valuables at home.
- Shower with the soap the surgery center provided you before your surgery.
- If staying overnight, bring a robe, slippers and socks, and a phone charger. Also, bring all medications your surgeon or primary care physician have prescribed.
Most importantly, follow the doctor’s orders. There is science behind the healing process, and no patient is an exception.
This checklist will serve as a reminder of things you need and things you need to do before and after surgery. Following this checklist will help make your surgery and stay at the surgery center more comfortable. This is a simple checklist to be used as a guideline. You should consult your doctor if you have any questions or concerns.
Please do not forget about your post-op appointment at Proffer Surgical the week following surgery. If you have any questions or concerns before or after surgery, do not hesitate to call Proffer Surgical’s office. If you are considering breast augmentation surgery, we encourage you to contact Proffer Surgical Associates in Amarillo, Texas.